Keeping connected to God - Being connected to our world

 

1949-1950: Getting it off the ground
1950-1959: John Sertin and St Barnabas Builders
1959-1967: John Tanburn - home meetings and erection of the church building
1964: Consecration of the church building
1967-1975: Ron Hargreaves - the church grows
1975-1985: David Boyes - a time of consolidation and adjustment
1986-2005: George Day - taking the story to the present day
Looking to the future


History of the Church

St Barnabas' Church celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2000. To mark the occasion, our vicar, the Revd George Day, prepared a history of the parish, of which this is an abridged version, with the ending updated to reflect the situation in 2005.

This history is the story of how the church has grown and developed over the years. It is a marvellous story of God’s faithfulness, and at the same time a story of the love, commitment, devotion and hard work of many people, clergy and lay. It is a story that deserves to be recorded, and we hope you find it interesting.

Although the story of St Barnabas is a continuous whole, it is convenient to divide it into the periods covered by the different incumbents. Please click on any of the links below to start reading our church history.